REVIEW: No Normal (Ms. Marvel Vol. 1) by Willow Wilson & Adrian Alphona

No Normal by Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona
Series: Ms Marvel Vol. 1
Published by Marvel on 30th October 2014
Pages: 120

Marvel Comics presents the new Ms. Marvel, the groundbreaking heroine that has become an international sensation! 

Kamala Khan is an ordinary girl from Jersey City — until she's suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. But who truly is the new Ms. Marvel? Teenager? Muslim? Inhuman? Find out as she takes the Marvel Universe by storm! When Kamala discovers the dangers of her newfound powers, she unlocks a secret behind them, as well. Is Kamala ready to wield these immense new gifts? Or will the weight of the legacy before her be too much to bear? Kamala has no idea, either. But she's comin' for you, Jersey!
I have not read many graphic novels, but with my reading having slowed down dramatically over the past six months, it was certainly nice to be able to read and actually finish a book in a couple of hours. I did enjoy this graphic novel, however I felt like the storyline was lacking a little, although the artwork is absolutely phenomenal! I mean, just look at the cover!

Kamala lives in Jersey City. She is great in school and has great friendships, yet she feels too 'normal'. That is, until she wishes to be someone else. But Kamala soon realises, once her wish is granted and she develops extraordinary gifts, she holds a great responsibility to help the people of Jersey city, and that being someone else just isn't who she is.

The artwork in this graphic novel is absolutely amazing! So vibrant and detailed, I love just looking at all the art, as there is always something else going on in the background. However, the one thing I struggled with is the storyline. The story line was okay, however it moved too quickly meaning one struggled to to really get invested in the story, consequently meaning one certainly struggled to connect with the characters. I was really looking forward to the humour aspect of the graphic novel as well that I had heard so many speak about, but I just could not see it. One would certainly say this novel is for a much younger audience, as it certainly is a brilliant diverse book with a great message, but it just did not capture my attention like I had hoped.

To be honest, I really do not think I will carry on with this series as I do feel rather disappointed as I did have high expectations due to the quantity of the high ratings.


Comments

  1. That stinks that the story wasn't the best. I've been going back and forth on wether to pick up the Mc. Marvel vol. 1 trade for some time. Guess I'll continue pushing it back. Thanks you for the review!

    Sharrice @Reese's Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been so looking forward to it too! It is such a shame, but you should certainly still read it, even if it is just to look at the artwork, because it really is amazing!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment as you pass by...

Popular posts from this blog

Feature & Follow

FEATURE & FOLLOW #5

WAITING ON WEDNESDAY (#3)